Northwest Airlines offered a helpful booklet to many of its staff that are facing layoffs called Preparing For A Financial Setback. The booklet contains 101 tips for saving money after you get laid off, including these gems:
- Don't be shy about pulling something you like out of the trash.
- Move to a less expensive place to live.
- Ask your doctor for samples of prescriptions.
- Use old newspapers for cat litter.
- Buy spare parts for your car at the junkyard.
- Search the Internet for freebies.
- Never go grocery (shopping) hungry.
- Take a date for a walk along the beach or in the woods.
Here are some other tips for preparing for financial setbacks unrelated to the airline.