What inspired the great thinkers of our times to take up science? That is what a new survey asked recently. From the website:
What Inspired You? is a survey of key thinkers in science, technology and medicine, conducted by spiked in collaboration with the research-based pharmaceutical company Pfizer. Survey respondents hail from all corners of the globe, ranging in age from 19 to 93 and ranging in experience from new talents to Nobel laureates. Each of these individuals was asked: 'What inspired you to take up science?'
And the survey results say:
- Inspirational teachers and mentors
- Hands on experience and experimentation
- Space exploration, social upheaval and scientific progress
- Family inspiration
- Literature - both scientific and science fiction
- Innate curiosity and predisposition towards science
- The natural world
Read the details from all the respondents on what inspired them to choose the field of science.